Tuesday 9 October 2012

Forgetful

What would be really interesting to write about here wold be the excellent conversation I had with an actual beef farmer about access rights and shared use of land in order to benefit both the landowner and people wanting to use the land for leisure. Unfortunately this conversation took part in a pub at around midnight during a canal boating weekend.

Canal boating apparently encourages significant drinking and so while the conversation highlighted how much I apparently knew about beef farming and included some excellent points on both sides and largely an agreement on the way to share the land, the fine details now slightly escape me, which does not make for an engaging post. Unless, of course, you’re particularly interested in drunken pub-talk.

To replace the clear gap in my abilities as a drunk I have some other news nuggets for you.

It looks like bike rental will be getting easier and easier as developments in car hire technology can also benefit a city hire bike scheme, allowing you to rent a bike via an app.



Also featuring videos of fairly simple tasks is Makegood.org, a site that demonstrates how to fix your bike in simple steps. I am all for this type of thing, as you probably know, so I should probably say nice things about it rather than having a moan, but I can’t resist mentioning that some of the tasks are a bit short. For example the “How to fit a rear derailleur” section seems to cover the obvious (bolt it onto the bike) but not the stuff you’ll undoubtedly need (like how to fit cables and index it correctly and so on). It seems a bit like a missed opportunity at times.

But then I'm hardly in a position to talk am I...

A

No comments:

Post a Comment