Friday 25 January 2013

Suing, Socks and Stacking

Friday brings with it news of a couple of people who read Lance Armstrong’s book and now want to sue him and his publishers for it being untrue. This seems a bit over the top but if they’re successful I imagine we should expect a flurry of similar lawsuits and I’d be inclined to suggest that the Bible would be an early target. Not that I’m suggesting Armstrong is God or anything.

Moving briskly on from that controversial start you often see mountain bike crashes turning up on “fail” websites like this one. My issue here is that you can’t really consider most of these as “fails”. They feature top level riders pulling massive moves and sometimes not landing them. In internet speak, it’s pretty much a “win” to be even that far through the trick, and also not ending up horrifically injured.

As I pound back and forth on my longer commute I have a bit more time to think of what’s important in cycling and what this blog needs. It occurred to me that kit that just works is a big deal and thus I’m starting an occasional series called (imaginatively)

Kit That Just Works.

Part 1. Winter Socks.

Socks are the unsung heroes of the winter ride. A good pair can make the difference between frozen toes and misery and getting where you’re going smiling (especially if, like me, you have not succumbed to overshoes). Your feet are more exposed than if you’re walking, with cold air flowing all around them and basically not doing much in comparison to when you’re standing on them. They get cold and need looking after. I’ll probably cover summer socks another time but winter socks fall into two categories for me.

Waterproof socks from Sealskinz (and an older pair I have from before Polaris was swallowed by the seal) cover the waterproof and warm end. They generally deal well with all water from below, including snow, but struggle with water running off your legs or raining hard from above. Eventually they fill with water, but at least the water is moderately warmer than outside thanks to the insulation. Standing in a stream in your shoes with dry feet never gets old nor does pouring muddy water out of the end of the sock after a really wet ride.

My second winter staples are a pair of merino wool socks from Pearl Izumi. These are rarely off my feet through winter commutes and rides. They are comfortable, warm, and hard wearing and dry quickly while keeping the warmth when they’re wet. I’ve worn them in everything from torrential rain to snow, and even in the summer where they made getting dressed again after a river paddle a pleasure. They feel like big ride gear and everyone should have a pair.

A

No comments:

Post a Comment