Tuesday 8 September 2009

SIR. YES. SIR.

Oh dear, I knew this day would come. The dreaded cyclists-jumping-red-lights debate. As my esteemed co-author has now set out his stall - that red lights are to be observed at all times - I feel I must set out my position, which is a little bit different.

Bikes are not cars. In the vast majority of cases, we should observe red lights because it is the safest thing to, but I personally think there are exceptions. My take is that anybody who behaves in a way that places other road users in danger is an idiot. I’d love to see two such idiots pass red lights at speed and collide, collapsing in a heap of their own collective stupidity.

That said, I personally think there is an occasion where a cyclist can pass through a red with a clear conscience. If I come up to a pedestrian crossing on red and there are no pedestrians on the crossing or about to use the crossing, I will proceed. It’s a victimless crime. I can’t stand riders that proceed when there are pedestrians on the crossing though, either before or after them. It’s true that it’s not safe, but even if no injury is caused, it’s just downright rude.

The part of this debate that annoys me the most is the idea that if we behave perfectly, we will be treated with more respect by motorists. Utter rubbish. The vast majority of motorists treat cyclists with respect. The small amount that don’t, and think that a cyclist not observing road rules gives them an excuse to take risks that may kill a cyclist, is not going to suffer a sudden enlightenment and enrol on a cycle awareness course because he sees some cyclists stopping at a red light. They are idiots and always will be.

R

No comments:

Post a Comment