Monday 7 December 2015

Getting Back to Normal

I realise that I have somewhat neglected you in the last few months and left you wondering, I imagine, what became of my recovery?

Well, I’m pleased to say it continued. Gradually I’ve been working back to something like normal, and despite all the other exciting news in the world of cycling I’m going to talk all about me for a bit, in a nice little multimedia post.

Let’s start with this. This was me.


Anyway, a while after that the recovery was on. I talked about the first ride, and I ramped it up from there still hoping to be able to put a bag on and to ride BPW in mid-November.

I headed to Swinley:


And that went OK. I was reasonably fast and solid so I backed it up with a Hertfordshire ride to get some distance in.


Starting to build some fitness I was also back on the bike to work every day, with my new courier bag, and even surviving a minor fall on a painted access ramp. The target day was approaching and I was in two minds about it if I’m honest. However…


I did it.

It poured with rain and was decidedly chilly, and I barely saw my friends who were on the uplift there on the same day, but I rode four loops and acquitted myself reasonably well. I persuaded a BPW virgin to join me and he enjoyed the experience as well. It was a great feeling to be back on the bike properly. Buoyed by the success I stretched my tired shoulder muscles on the following day on the Cafall trail at Cwm Carn:


I also took advantage of the marginally better weather to get some film to prove it, as well as surviving a little off. I found a new programme to combine the video and GPS data so expect a lot more of this sort of thing…


Since then there has been more commuting, other stuff to keep me off the mountain bikes but a bit of getting stronger and more confident on the BMX. There is still work to do and improvement to make but it feels more optimistic than it did.


A

No comments:

Post a Comment